This thick handmade journal/notebook is one of a kind. It is folded and stitched with waxed linen thread and covered in my own hand-marbled paper lined with Tyvek to make it very durable. It has toning end papers, headbands and satin ribbon.
240 pages of 120 gsm cream paper.
Dimensions: L10.7 x W11 x D2.5 cm
This book took many hours to make. These are some of the steps in its creation:
– a bath of Carrageenan moss solution is prepared overnight
– paints are added to the bath to create unique marbled patterns
– paper is laid on the marbled pattern and then removed, dried and pressed
– the marbled paper is lined with Tyvek for strength
– the paper for the book block is folded in half and then arranged in sections
– the sections are pierced and sewn with linen thread
– the end papers are made and attached to the book block
– the spine is lined and the endbands and ribbon are added
– the cover boards and spine piece are measured and cut out from bookbinding greyboard
– the cover is made from the boards, spine piece and the hand-marbled paper
– the book is cased in
– the book is left in the press and voilà, it is ready!
Thanks for looking at my products and don’t forget that I can make books to your own specifications and personalise the covers – just get in touch for a quote.
Jenny’s Handmade Books